To foster communication and group participation among staff from all units of the College of Engineering, and to serve in an advisory capacity to College’s Dean and/or Administration on issues relevant to staff.
The Council meets twice per year in person, and as needed via conference call to address matters of an urgent nature. Council meetings are informal in nature.
Chair and Co-Chair
Chair: Elected by Staff Council representatives from within its membership for a one-year term and may be re-elected for subsequent terms.
The role of the Staff Council Chair includes but is not limited to:
- Chairs monthly Staff Council meetings.
- Disseminates information and addresses topics of interest and concern to College of Engineering staff.
- Poses special issues or projects to the Council for consideration and action.
- Notifies Staff Council representatives of upcoming meetings and reserves meeting room.
- Solicits agenda items from Staff Council representatives.
- Distributes agenda to Staff Council representatives.
- Solicits a Staff Council representative volunteer to record Staff Council meeting minutes.
- Distributes minutes among Staff Council representatives for review and approval.
- Makes any required revisions to minutes.
- Distributes approved minutes to all Staff Council representatives.
- Communicates Staff Council webpage and Staff Excellence Award guideline changes to the college webmaster. These changes are first approved by the Staff Council and Dean.
- Brings special issues and/or proposals to the attention of the Staff Council representatives for their review, discussion and possible action.
- Forms committee/project teams from among Council representatives to address special issues or undertake approved special projects.
- Calls meetings on special issues to be addressed by the Staff Council.
- Sends Council recommendations and/or reports on special issues to appropriate administrative personnel.
- Solicits a Staff Council representative volunteer to record minutes at Staff Senate meetings.
- Maintains communications with Staff Senate Chair.
- Ensures the Staff Excellence Award guidelines are followed.
- Attends first meeting after stepping down as Chair of Staff Council and provides training to replacement Chair.
The Dean of the College of Engineering and the Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration.
The role of the Staff Council Ex-Officio representatives includes but is not limited to:
- Attend Staff Council meeting as needed.
- May take part in discussions, but are non-voting representatives.
- Approve revisions to the Staff Council webpage as proposed by the Staff Council.
- Approve revisions to the Staff Excellence Award guidelines as proposed by the Staff Council.
New Ex-Officio representatives may be appointed by the Dean’s office or requested by Staff Council representatives as needed.
Council projects may include but are not limited to:
- Assist with employee orientation for new staff within their unit;.
- Develop vehicles to foster greater interpersonal communication between staff members (such as brown bag lunches, etc.);.
- Assist with Engineers Day Open House;.
- Organize and coordinate approved charitable projects;.
- Assist with the College’s annual staff appreciation lunch.
- Assist with other events as needed.
Representatives of the staff of departments, centers and administrative units within the College of Engineering. Appointment is at the discretion of the individual unit. Appointment is for a maximum of two years unless otherwise agreed upon by all other staff within the unit.
The role of the Staff Council representatives includes but is not limited to:
- Represent all staff within their respective units.
- Attend all Staff Council monthly meetings or send a substitute representative when necessary.
- Forward recorded and approved Staff Council meeting minutes to respective unit staff colleagues.
- Assist with special projects delegated to or selected by the Council.
- Volunteer for Council committees/teams formed to address specific issues or conduct special projects.
- Notify respective unit staff colleagues as to when monthly Staff Council meetings will take place.
- Seek input from staff colleagues for meeting agenda items.
- Solicit participation by colleagues on Council activities where appropriate.
- Welcome and assist in the orientation of new staff members by bringing the new employee to a Council meeting, distributing orientation material developed by the Council to new employees, introducing new employees to others around the College, giving new employees general tour of College.
- Review and recommend changes/updates to the Staff Council webpage
- Review and recommend changes/updates to the Staff Excellence Award process
- Record minutes at the monthly Staff Council meeting (on a rotating, volunteer basis)
- Record minutes at the monthly Staff Senate meeting (on a rotating, volunteer basis)
- Serve as a representative on the annual Staff Excellence Award Selection Committee.
- Assist with the annual staff appreciation lunch.
- Assist with the annual Engineers’ Day Open House.
- Assist with approved charitable projects.