A recent report published by "The German Federal Office for Information Security" on quantum computing mentions the University of Kentucky College of Engineering as one of the key players in "Quantum circuits for cryptanalysis." UK is among eight research institutions and laboratories across the world, including:
- Dalhousie University’s Dept. of Math. & Stat., Halifax, Canada
- Florida Atlantic University’s CCIS, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Inria Paris, France
- Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) in Waterloo, Canada.
- Microsoft Research’s QuArC group in Redmond, WA, USA.
- QuICS in College Park, MD, USA.
- Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands
The report specifically mentions the contributions of UK assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering and Endowed Robley D. Evans Faculty Fellow Himanshu Thapliyal.
"Himanshu Thapliyal co-authors several publications on the design and synthesis of efficient quantum circuits. He enters the field from the angle of reversible computing and contributed in particular to circuits for basic arithmetic tasks. The latter is relevant both for factoring and for computing discrete logarithms with Shor’s algorithm.
The report is available here. Thapliyal is mentioned on page 93.