Thomas Lester Scholars Program
The Thomas Lester Scholars Program awards a renewable scholarship totaling $12,000 over four years. Students receive $1500 their Freshman year and the amount increases by $1000 each consecutive year as long as the student maintains the proper conditions for the award. Incoming Freshman are automatically offered the scholarship (pending funds availability) if the following requirements are met:
- Student must apply to UK and declare The College of Engineering by December 1, 2017. Notification letters will be sent out the week after the December 1 deadline.
- Student must have a composite score of 30 on the ACT or 1340 on the Old SAT (prior to March 2016) or 1390 on the New SAT (after March 2016)
- Student must have a math score of 33 on the ACT or 760 on the Old SAT (prior to March 2016) or 780 on the New SAT (after March 2016)
- Student must have a 3.50 unweighted high school GPA
Financial Need-Based Scholarships
There are two need-based scholarship opportunities for new incoming freshmen who are of residents of Kentucky:
- L. Stanley Pigman Engineering Scholarship
- Robert B. and Helen P. Jewell Foundation Scholarship
Only those with financial need are considered for these awards so a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be on file for the student so that we can verify that need. The FAFSA can be completed beginning October 1 for the upcoming school year, and taxes do not have to be complete to apply. Families can estimate income in order to get the FAFSA done early and update it once the taxes are complete. The University will receive the FAFSA information approximately two weeks after completion.
Each application will be reviewed by the College of Engineering Scholarship Committee as designated by the Dean. Students are awarded on the basis of GPA, ACT or SAT scores, writing ability, leadership potential and financial need. The committee will decide if a scholarship will be awarded, and if so, the amount of the award. These awards range from $1000 to $7500. Each year there are approximately 10 new need-based awards.
L. Pigman Scholarship recipients are required to live in the Engineering LLP their Freshman and Sophomore years.
DEADLINE HAS PASSED FOR 18-19
The University of Kentucky also offers scholarships for incoming Freshmen from the Office of Academic Scholarships. These awards are not engineering specific awards so most can be stacked with the above College awards.
The College of Engineering has an Outside Scholarship page to assist its students in finding funds outside of the scholarships awarded by The University. There are many awards that are specifically for high school students. Incoming Freshman should pay close attention to these deadlines as they are often in the fall of their senior year.
Scholarship Director/Student Records Office
University of Kentucky
College of Engineering
355-R F. Paul Anderson Tower