Jan 2019 – Present: Assistant Professor, University of Kentucky
Oct 2015 – Dec 2018: Lead Engineer(2018) / Research Engineer (2015-2018), GE Global Research, New York
Dec 2014 – Sept 2015: Hardware Development Engineer, Rockwell Automation, Wisconsin
Jun 2013 – Dec 2013: Research Intern, Eaton Global Research & Technology, Wisconsin
Sept 2010 – Aug 2015: Research Assistant, Marquette University, Wisconsin
Ph.D., Marquette University, Electrical Engineering, 2015
Power Electronics and Electric Motor Drives
Health Monitoring and Fault-Tolerant Power Conversion Systems
Transportation Electrifications (Electric Vehicles, Aircraft, etc.)
Renewable Energy Integration and Smart Grid
- J. He, D. Zhang and D. Pan, "PWM Strategy for MW-Scale “SiC+Si” ANPC Converter in Aircraft Propulsion Applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 3077-3086, May-June 2021.
- D. Zhang, J. He and D. Pan, "A Megawatt-Scale Medium-Voltage High-Efficiency High Power Density “SiC+Si” Hybrid Three-Level ANPC Inverter for Aircraft Hybrid-Electric Propulsion Systems," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 5971-5980, Nov.-Dec. 2019.
- J. He et al., "Multi-Domain Design Optimization of dv/dt Filter for SiC-Based Three-Phase Inverters in High-Frequency Motor-Drive Applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 5214-5222, Sept.-Oct. 2019.
- H. Chen, J. He, N. Demerdash, X. Guan and C. H. T. Lee, "Diagnosis of Open-Phase Faults for a Five-Phase PMSM Fed by a Closed-Loop Vector-Controlled Drive Based on Magnetic Field Pendulous Oscillation Technique," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 5582-5593, July 2021.
- P. Roy, J. He and Y. Liao, "Cost Minimization of Battery-Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage for Hourly Dispatching Wind-Solar Hybrid Power System," IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 210099-210115, 2020.
- R. Katebi, J. He and N. Weise, "Investigation of Fault-Tolerant Capabilities in an Advanced Three-Level Active T-Type Converter," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 446-457, March 2019.
- D. Zhang, J. He and S. Madhusoodhanan, "Three-Level Two-Stage Decoupled Active NPC Converter With Si IGBT and SiC MOSFET," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 6169-6178, Nov.-Dec. 2018.
- R. Katebi, J. He and N. Weise, "An Advanced Three-Level Active Neutral-Point-Clamped Converter With Improved Fault-Tolerant Capabilities," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 6897-6909, Aug. 2018.
- J. He, R. Katebi, N. Weise, N. A. O. Demerdash and L. Wei, "A Fault-Tolerant T-Type Multilevel Inverter Topology with Increased Overload Capability and Soft-Switching Characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 2826-2839, May-June 2017.
- J. He, N. A. O. Demerdash, N. Weise and R. Katebi, "A Fast On-Line Diagnostic Method for Open-Circuit Switch Faults in SiC-MOSFET-Based T-Type Multilevel Inverters," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 2948-2958, May-June 2017.
- J. He, R. Katebi and N. Weise, "A Current-Dependent Switching Strategy for Si/SiC Hybrid Switch-Based Power Converters," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 8344-8352, Oct. 2017.
- P. Zhang, G. Y. Sizov, J. He, D. M. Ionel and N. A. O. Demerdash, "Calculation of Magnet Losses in Concentrated-Winding Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Machines Using a Computationally Efficient Finite-Element Method," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 2524-2532, Nov.-Dec. 2013.
UK ECE Outstanding Teacher Award, 2021
IEEE IAS AWS Outstanding Young Member Achievement Award, 2019
GE Global Research Whitney Technology Excellence Award, 2018
IEEE Senior Member, 2016
IEEE IAS Electric Machine Committee Prize Paper Award, 2013