Jan 2019 – Present: Assistant Professor, University of Kentucky
Oct 2015 – Dec 2018: Lead Engineer(2018) / Research Engineer (2015-2018), GE Global Research, New York
Dec 2014 – Sept 2015: Hardware Development Engineer, Rockwell Automation, Wisconsin
Jun 2013 – Dec 2013: Research Intern, Eaton Global Research & Technology, Wisconsin
Ph.D., Marquette University, Electrical Engineering, 2015
Power Electronics and Electric Motor Drives
Health Monitoring and Fault-Tolerant Power Conversion Systems
Transportation Electrifications (Electric Vehicles, Aircraft, etc.)
Renewable Energy Integration and Smart Grid
My research laboratory has been focusing on advanced power electronic converters and motor-drive systems, targeting at zero-emission transportation electrifications and e-mobility, renewable energies, microgrid, and other cutting-edge applications.
- M. T. Fard, J. He, H. Huang and Y. Cao, "Aircraft Distributed Electric Propulsion Technologies—A Review," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 4067-4090, Dec. 2022.
- J. He, D. Zhang and D. Pan, "PWM Strategy for MW-Scale “SiC+Si” ANPC Converter in Aircraft Propulsion Applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 3077-3086, May-June 2021.
- D. Zhang, J. He and D. Pan, "A Megawatt-Scale Medium-Voltage High-Efficiency High Power Density “SiC+Si” Hybrid Three-Level ANPC Inverter for Aircraft Hybrid-Electric Propulsion Systems," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 5971-5980, Nov.-Dec. 2019.
- J. He et al., "Multi-Domain Design Optimization of dv/dt Filter for SiC-Based Three-Phase Inverters in High-Frequency Motor-Drive Applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 5214-5222, Sept.-Oct. 2019.
- H. Chen, J. He, N. Demerdash, X. Guan and C. H. T. Lee, "Diagnosis of Open-Phase Faults for a Five-Phase PMSM Fed by a Closed-Loop Vector-Controlled Drive Based on Magnetic Field Pendulous Oscillation Technique," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 5582-5593, July 2021.
- P. Roy, J. He and Y. Liao, "Cost Minimization of Battery-Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage for Hourly Dispatching Wind-Solar Hybrid Power System," IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 210099-210115, 2020.
- R. Katebi, J. He and N. Weise, "Investigation of Fault-Tolerant Capabilities in an Advanced Three-Level Active T-Type Converter," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 446-457, March 2019.
- D. Zhang, J. He and S. Madhusoodhanan, "Three-Level Two-Stage Decoupled Active NPC Converter with Si IGBT and SiC MOSFET," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 6169-6178, Nov.-Dec. 2018.
- R. Katebi, J. He and N. Weise, "An Advanced Three-Level Active Neutral-Point-Clamped Converter with Improved Fault-Tolerant Capabilities," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 6897-6909, Aug. 2018.
- J. He, R. Katebi, N. Weise, N. A. O. Demerdash and L. Wei, "A Fault-Tolerant T-Type Multilevel Inverter Topology with Increased Overload Capability and Soft-Switching Characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 2826-2839, May-June 2017.
- J. He, N. A. O. Demerdash, N. Weise and R. Katebi, "A Fast On-Line Diagnostic Method for Open-Circuit Switch Faults in SiC-MOSFET-Based T-Type Multilevel Inverters," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 2948-2958, May-June 2017.
- J. He, R. Katebi and N. Weise, "A Current-Dependent Switching Strategy for Si/SiC Hybrid Switch-Based Power Converters," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 8344-8352, Oct. 2017.
UK ECE Outstanding Teacher Award, 2021
IEEE IAS AWS Outstanding Young Member Achievement Award, 2019
GE Global Research Whitney Technology Excellence Award, 2018
IEEE Senior Member, 2016
IEEE IAS Electric Machine Committee Prize Paper Award, 2013
- J. He and N. Demerdash, "On-line diagnostic method for electronic switch faults in neutral-point-clamped converters," U.S. Patent 11,119,159, issued on Sept 14, 2021.
- J. He and N. Demerdash, “Fault-tolerant topology for multilevel T-type converters,” U.S. Patent 10,658,920, issued on May 19, 2020.
- M. Dame, J. He, and D. Zhang, “Compact design of multilevel power converter systems,” U.S. Patent 10,658,941, issued on May 19, 2020.
- D. Zhang, J. He, and S. Madhusoodhanan, “Three-level two-stage decoupled active NPC converter,” U.S. Patent 10,581,342, issued on Mar 03, 2020.
- C. Li, A. Jassal, N. Thiagarajan, J. He, S. Prabhakaran, K. Huh, X. Kang, and R. Wang, “Magnetic Unit and An Associated Method Thereof,” U.S. Patent No. 11,404,203, issued on Aug. 2, 2022.
- D. Pan, M. Dame, D. Zhang, and J. He, “Method for shutdown of an active neutral point clamped converter,” U.S. Patent 10,547,251, issued on Jan 28, 2020.
- D. Zhang, J. He, S. Madhusoodhanan, and D. Pan, “Method and system for operating a phase-leg of a three-level active neutral point clamped converter,” U.S. Patent 10,291,150, issued on May 14, 2019.
- T. Zhao, J. He, Y. Familiant, and M. Yang, “Methods and systems for operating hybrid power devices using driver circuits that perform indirect instantaneous load current sensing using stored I-V characteristics,” U.S. Patent 10,020,802, issued on July 10, 2018.
- D. Zhang, R. Zhou, L. Garces, and J. He, “Modulator for a hybrid converter system,” U.S. Patent 9,979,322, issued on May 22, 2018.
- T. Zhao, J. He, Y. Familiant, and M. Yang, “Methods and systems for operating hybrid power devices using driver circuits that perform indirect instantaneous load current sensing,” U.S. Patent 9,722,581, issued on Aug 01, 2017.
- T. Zhao, J. He, V. Bhavaraju, and M. Yang, “Methods and systems for operating hybrid power devices using multiple current-dependent switching patterns,” U.S. Patent 9,397,657, issued on July 19, 2016.