Incoming Freshman Scholarship Program
Automatically awarded to those who qualify!
Our Incoming Freshman Scholarship Program awards a renewable four year $3000 scholarship for a total of $12,000. (Students must maintain certain academic requirements to renew the award each year.) There is no application for this scholarship. Incoming freshman are automatically offered the scholarship and sent an award letter in January (pending funds availability) if the following requirements are met:
- A student must apply to UK and select a College of Engineering major by December 1. All test scores and transcripts must be in by that date, as well.
- A student must have a composite score of 30 on the ACT or 1360 on the SAT
- A student must have a math score of 33 on the ACT or 740 on the SAT
- A student must have a 3.50 unweighted high school GPA
There are two need-based scholarship opportunities for new incoming freshmen who are residents of Kentucky:
- L. Stanley Pigman Engineering Scholarship
- Robert B. and Helen P. Jewell Foundation Scholarship
Only those with financial need are considered for these awards so a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be on file for the student so that we can verify that need. The FAFSA can be completed beginning October 1 for the upcoming school year, and taxes do not have to be completed to apply. Families can estimate income in order to get the FAFSA done early and update it once the taxes are complete. The University will receive the FAFSA information approximately two weeks after completion.
Each application will be reviewed by the College of Engineering Scholarship Committee as designated by the Dean. Students are awarded on the basis of GPA, ACT or SAT scores, writing ability, leadership potential and financial need. The committee will decide if a scholarship will be awarded, and if so, the amount of the award. These awards range from $1000 to $7500.
DEADLINE FOR 2020-21 IS FEBRUARY 17, 2020. APPLICATIONS POSTMARKED BY THIS DATE WILL BE ACCEPTED.
These applications must be mailed with all supporting documents. Emailed and faxed copies are not accepted.