To foster communication and group participation among staff from all units of the College of Engineering, and to serve in an advisory capacity to College’s Dean and/or Administration on issues relevant to staff.
Staff Council officers consist of Chair, Chair-Elect, Secretary, and a Staff Senate Liaison.
Officers are selected by acclaim annually in July and will serve a two-year term. Consecutive terms are not allowed. The Chair-Elect serves one year then an additional year as Chair.
Chair and Chair-Elect
The Staff Council Chair does the following with the assistance of the Chair-Elect:
- Chairs monthly Staff Council meetings
- Disseminates information and addresses topics of interest and concern to College of Engineering staff
- Poses special issues or projects to the Council for consideration and action
- Notifies Staff Council representatives of upcoming meetings and reserves meeting room
- Solicits agenda items from Staff Council representatives
- Distributes agenda to Staff Council representatives
- Communicates Staff Council webpage changes to the college webmaster. These changes are first approved by the Staff Council.
- Forms committee/project teams from among Council representatives to address special issues or undertake approved special projects
- Sends Council recommendations and/or reports on special issues to appropriate administrative personnel
- Record and prepare minutes of the Council meetings, noting if quorum is present
- Distribute meeting minutes to all Council members and other individuals
- Take roll call of members and proxies, and record members present and absent at all meetings of the Council
- Maintain mission statement and bylaws
- Oversee election of officers
Staff Senate Liaison
- Records minutes at Staff Senate meetings and shares with Staff Council
- Maintains communications with Staff Senate Chair
The Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration. The Staff Council Ex-Officio representative is asked to:
- Attend Staff Council meetings as needed
- Take part in discussions, but as a non-voting representative
- Approve revisions to the Staff Council webpage as proposed by the Staff Council
New Ex-Officio representatives may be appointed by the Dean’s office or requested by Staff Council representatives as needed.
Staff Council representatives are staff of departments, centers, and administrative units within the College of Engineering. Appointment is at the discretion of the individual unit. Appointment is for a minimum of two years. If an officer leaves the College of Engineering or a change in duties requires them to step down from the Council, they can be replaced by a special election.
A simple majority of members in attendance shall constitute a quorum and is authorized to conduct the business of the Staff Council at any regular or called meeting. A majority vote by the Staff Council members present shall carry a motion. Voting membership shall be a show of hands or voice vote.
Staff Council representatives are asked to:
- Represent all staff within their respective units.
- Attend all Staff Council monthly meetings or coordinate a proxy.
- Forward recorded and approved Staff Council meeting minutes to respective unit staff colleagues.
- Assist with special projects delegated to or selected by the Council.
- Seek input from staff colleagues for meeting agenda items.
- Welcome and assist in the orientation of new staff members.
- Review and recommend changes/updates to the Staff Council webpage
- Assist with approved charitable projects.
Council representatives currently include:
Chemical and Materials Engineering
Engineering Computing Services
Electrical and Computer Science
Institute for Sustainable Manufacturing
Kentucky Transportation Center
Marketing and Communications
Goal 1: Create Community
Goal 2: Communication
Goal 3: Advise Administration
Goal 4: Advocate for Professional Development and Mentorship