The safe conduct of teaching and research is our highest priority.
All graduate students are required to complete safety training as appropriate for his/her major. Safety training sessions are offered by the College of Engineering immediately prior to the start of classes in August each year. Students may not enter any laboratory until safety training is completed. The following is a list of the required safety courses depending on the student’s major:
- Fire Safety – required for all graduate students
- Shop Safety – required for graduate students working with machine shop equipment
- Chemical Hygiene – required for graduate students working with chemicals in labs
- Hazardous Waste Disposal – required for graduate students working with chemicals in labs
- Biological Safety – required for graduate students working with biohazards in labs
If you are unsure as to which courses you should take, this chart will help (PDF document).
In addition, UK’s Office of Environmental Health and Safety also offers a host of safety classes on other topics. For a complete list visit: https://ehs.uky.edu/